Some Problems Presented in this Paper
This appendix is here only to set forth a few of the problems mentioned through this paper which are in need of work in the future. It is hoped that these will be in terms more concise than used previously. Some of these problems may have been published upon in references which I have not yet consulted. If this is so, I will eventually bring these references into use upon the appropriate problem.
1. What is the culture history of people labeled Salado? The work being carried out at Walnut Creek by the Department of Anthropology, Arizona State University, should produce a great deal of knowledge on this point.
2. Can the people previously named by Colton the Southern Sinagua be considered Sinaguan?
3. Are the people previously named by Spicer and Caywood the Prescott Branch more closely related to the Salado Branch in their earlier horizons than we have suspected in the past?
4. If the Prescott and Salado Branches were much more closely related than we have thought in the past, did the Hohokam pushup the Verde River at approximately A.D. 700 serve as a wedge separating the two groups to a point where there was very little exchange of ideas between them from that time on so each in consequence developed along individual lines more than had previously been the case?
5. Can more evidence be produced to support the hypotheses that the post reinforced walls of the Classic period developed from the pre-Classic pithouse wall?
6. What is the origin of the solid unreinforced wall of the Classic period?
7. Do compound walls really date from the Sacaton phase if not earlier in the form of a palisade?
8. Are the platform mounds with a long history in the Hohokam area and those without structures built on top be considered to be of socio-religious importance?
9. May the platform mounds which were apparently developed or introduced in the Soho phase which had structures built on top of them be shown to be defensive in nature?
10. Did the Hohokam abandon the Verde, Agua Fria, and middle Salt Rivers because of enemy pressure?
11. Can substantial evidence be presented to show that Casa Grande was in all probability an astronomical observatory?
12. Was the increase of inhumations over cremations in the Classic period the result of trends already in evidence during the pre-Classic?